Curriculum VitaeElaine Frenett, Artist
Launching from Colorado, where light and color travel from the gray monotone of winter snow storms to the brilliant splash of spring flowers in meadows green, Elaine went on to graduate, in 1992, from San Jose State University. She holds a BS in Graphic Design, Focus: Illustration.
As an illustrator, Elaine’s work has been published from New York to San Francisco. In the midst of that busy schedule, she began to paint from the heart. The positive response from her audience led her deeper and completely into fine art. Her work is held in private, corporate, and museum collections here and abroad. Elaine is a member of these fine art groups:
- Ajijic Society of the Arts
- Ashland Art Center
- Santa Clara Valley Watercolor Society
- California Watercolor Association
- Watercolor West, Juried Member
As a gifted teacher, Elaine has conducted programs in a diverse range of settings such as art clubs and Universities. In addition, she gives private lessons. Then it all dovetailed — her inquiring spirit in journaling, her passion for teaching, her creativity in forms, and her connection with people — to launch the previous Womens’ Journaling Alpine Retreat. She also teaches various Watercolor, Plein Air, Visual Art Journaling and Collaboration classes.
For 15 years Elaine was firmly planted in the beautiful Rogue Valley of Oregon, dividing her time between two remarkable towns: the historic and charming Jacksonville (where she lived), and the energetic arts community of Ashland (where she had an open studio). Today she is beginning a new chapter of her life in Mexico. Her work continues to thrive in her new environment, and she is represented by Diane Pearl, owner of Diane Pearl Gallery and Art Center, Sta Margarita 23, Riberas del Pilar, 45906 San Antonio Tlayacapan, Jal., Mexico
Selected Activities & Presentations
- 2022 Individual presentation and demonstrations of watercolor and visual art journaling at Ajijic Society of the Arts in May.
- 2021 Current Co-Administrator of Urban Sketchers Ajijic. Responsible for selecting/arranging painting venues as well as distribution and posting of information.
- 2014 Initiate “Cultivating Collaboration” Presentation and steward monthly “Collaborating Artists’ Jam.” Ashland Art Center, Ashland, OR.
- 2011-14 Managing Curator for Ashland Art Center Lounge & Long Gallery venues, Ashland, OR.
- 2007-09 Venue Curator, acting as curator for Ashland Art Center in their Sponsor Venues, Ashland, OR.
- 2008 “Georgia O’Keefe Project,” selected as lead volunteer instructor, Jacksonville, OR.
- 2008 “Vision and Technique in Watercolor,” Solo Lecture & Presentation, Rogue Valley Manor, Medford, OR.
- 2006 “Art Presence,” original founding member, showcasing art in Historic Town of Jacksonville, OR.
- 2004 “The Possibilities of Giclee Prints,” Art Panel Presentation, Santa Clara Valley Watercolor Society, Los Altos, CA.
- 1994 “Illustration and Book Making,” San Jose State University, San Jose, CA.
Awards & Honors
- 2022 June Inaugural Show of the new Ajijic Museum of Art.
- 2022 Best in Show – Watercolor Category at the April AJIJIC Society of the Arts Show at Ajijic Cultural Center.
- 2022 January Solo Show at Ajijic Cultural Center.
- 2011 “50th Anniversary at the Rogue Valley Manor,” invited to be gallery solo artist, Ashland, OR.
- 2010 “Artist Books as Fine Art,” Illahe Gallery, Ashland, OR – Patron Purchase.
- 2009 “Creative Mentoring” chosen as mentor for 8th Grade, Siskiyou School Student, Ashland, OR.
- 2009 “Spirit of the Rogue Show,” Firehouse Gallery, Grants Pass, OR – First Place.
- 2008-09 “Southern Oregon Art Show,” Firehouse Galley, Grants Pass, OR – Second Place.
- 2008 “Watermedia Show & Lecture,” Solo Artist for October, Rogue Valley Manor, Medford, OR.
- 2007 “Watercolor Artist & Philosopher,” online publication available here.
- 2006 “59th AAUW Art Show ,” Grants Pass Museum, Grants Pass, OR – Honorable Mention.
- 2005 “San Gregario,” art piece selected for Permanent Collection at the Triton Museum, Santa Clara, CA.
- 2005-Current “Traveling Conversations,” participating in unique collaborative effort between three artists via the U.S. Mail. Project presented in show and workshop in Los Gatos, CA in 2012 at Viewpoints Gallery. As an ongoing project, the next show is scheduled for May, 2014, at Illahe Studios and Gallery, Ashland, OR. Book available at Amazon.com.
- 2004 “Sedona Spirit Fine Art Gallery,” Featured Solo Artist, Sedona, Arizona.
- 2002 “SWA Annual National Show,” San Francisco, CA – Best of Show.
- 2001 “CWA Bay Model Sausalito Show,” Sausalito, CA – Third Place & Honorable Mention.
- 2001 “Triton Museum of Art Statewide Book Arts Exhibit,” Santa Clara CA.
- 2000 “Watercolor West XXXII Annual Exhibition,” Palm Desert, CA.
- 1999 “Watercolor U.S.A. 99,”Springfield Art Museum, Springfield MO – Patron Purchase.
- 1996 & 98 “Biennial Statewide Watercolor Competition & Exhibition,” Triton Museum, Santa Clara, CA.
- Clifford Hunter Memorial Award
- Lonnie DeVincenzi Memorial Award
- Allied Arts Merit Award